The National Assembly approved this tuesday in ordinary session an agreement to promote a popular consultation to carry out free, fair and verifiable elections and to reject fraud.
Oct 1, 2020
The document instructs to deploy all national and international initiatives and efforts which lead to the realization of free, transparent, democratic, fair and verifiable elections in accordance with constitutional principles and laws governing the matter.
Likewise, it urges the convocation, based on Articles 1, 3, 5, 6, 70 and 333 of the Constitution of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, of a popular consultation that will allow for an unequivocal manifestation of the sovereignty of the people on the following questions:
- Do you support all the mechanisms of national and international pressure so that within the framework of the Constitution, free, fair and verifiable presidential and parliamentary elections are held, the usurper regime of Nicolás Maduro Moros is put to an end, the Venezuelan people are safeguarded from the humanitarian crisis, forced migration and crimes against humanity, and thus peace, well-being and progress of the Venezuelan people are guaranteed?
- Do you reject the event convened by Nicolás Maduro Moros’ dictatorship for the 6D, or for any other date, as long as conditions for free, fair and verifiable elections do not exist, and request the international community to ignore its results?
The approved document calls upon the United Nations Organization, the Organization of American States, the European Union and the entire international community to continue supporting this legitimate National Assembly and its President Juan Guaidó, as an expression of the popular will expressed in the elections of December 6th, 2015 and to accompany them in the process of holding the popular consultation.
Likewise, it mandates the creation of the Organizing Committee of the popular consultation that will dictate its regulations and will have the following functions:
- Organize, administer, supervise and monitor the acts related to the popular consultation.
- Carry out institutional information and dissemination campaigns, for the full understanding of the popular consultation.
- Total, award, proclaim, based on the minutes of the vote, the popular consultation.
- Participate with the corresponding authorities and publish the results of the popular consultation.
- Accredit the national or international observers of the popular consultation.
- Dictate the rules and procedures conducive to the organization, management and operation of the referendum, as well as control, plan and regulate its activities in the exceptional circumstances the country is experiencing.
- Guarantee compliance with the constitutional and legal provisions.
- Guarantee and promote the participation of citizens in the popular consultation.
- Designate the Technical Committee of the popular consultation.
Also, the text aims to designate the Organizing Committee of the popular consultation made up of seven (7) members that will meet and decide validly with the absolute majority of them. The document requests the recognition, validity and publicity of the names approved by the Organizing Committee to hold the referendum. Such rules must comply with the following basic principles, taking into account the special circumstances of the country:
- The consultation must protect the security of citizens in the exercise of their right to participate.
- The consultation may be held on one or several successive days according to the circumstances of services, technical reasons and security requirements.
- The consultation must allow the participation of all Venezuelans eligible to vote anywhere in the world.
- The consultation may use as a platform for the exercise of the right to participate all available means, allowing participation through mixed platforms: electronic, conventional mail, face-to-face, itinerant and any other mechanism that technology allows.
- All these mechanisms must comply with the extremes so that the vote is personal, unique, exclusive, reliable, secret, universal and direct.
Finally, we urge the international community to recognize and support the results of the popular consultation.
Read More: CCN – Centro de Comunicación Nacional – AN approved agreement that promotes popular consultation to hold free elections and reject the fraud next December 6th